Friday, July 24

Taco Seasoning Mix

So I use taco seasoning a lot... and I was sick of buying it at the stores because I knew it is a little overpriced (as all pre-made seasoning mixes are). I toyed around with the amounts of the ingredients, until I found this combination, that works great. I have also found buying Cumin in the ethnic section of the grocery store is another great way to save money!

Taco Seasoning Mix

1 Tbsp milk powder
(can use 1/2 Tbsp corn starch)
1 Tbsp chopped onion
½ Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp salt (optional – do not use if the chili powder has salt)
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper

Combine ingredients in a spice grinder*, process until smooth. Add 2/3 cup water and mixture to 1 lb cooked ground beef, drained of fat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered 5-10 minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally.

I also make a lot of this at a time and keep in a bottle in my spice cabinet.

*I use an inexpensive electric coffee grinder (if you do this do not use it to grind coffee as well - I don't have this problem as I do not drink coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment