Friday, July 24

My Most Recent Success


So I have been trying to be more frugal in my food spending. We've basically stopped eating out and
I've been cooking more (I hadn't been cooking as much due to a new baby - I did make some freezer meals before he was born though). So what have I done that is so great? Well, I'll tell you. The other week Hubby and I bought a 5 lb chicken (on sale for $0.99 per pound). I cooked it in our crock pot and we had Lime & Herb Chicken and salad for dinner two nights in a row. I chopped up the left over chicken to use in Pineapple Chicken Quesadillas. We had those for two nights as well. There was still some left over chicken, so I put it in the freezer to use later. This week I decided to use the chicken to make Chicken Taco salad and we had that for two nights. Then we ran out of lettuce and knowing I still needed to use the chicken (because I dared not refreze it), I made Chicken Taco Soup which we had for lunch yesterday and there is enough for either Hubby or I today for lunch. So out of one chicken (that fit in a 3.5 qt crock pot) we had a total of 7.5 meals for two people. Recipes follow. However if you use the recipes you will need more chicken as I used the chicken mixture from the chicken taco salad to make the chicken taco soup (I only used 1-15 oz can of tomatoes for the soup).

In the future I will try to post pictures of all my recipes, but these were done while I was still trying to organize my kitchen after a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment