Wednesday, July 29

Layered Beef and Bean Dip

So I was about to make nachos for dinner one night, but decided to do a layered dip instead. It worked well (I suggest if you want to use it more than once to layer the beans, hamburger and cheese separately so you can heat it up later (because cold hamburger - ew!)

Layered Beef and Bean Dip

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp oil (I used olive oil, but it would be more flavorful if you used bacon drippings, or if you had a layer of fat from drippings after cooking a ham/chicken, etc)

0.5 lb Hamburger
1/2 cup onion
Taco seasoning

2 Cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup salsa
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sliced olives
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
Tortilla chips/strips

In saucepan, place beans, garlic powder and oil. Mash the beans with a potato masher or fork. Cook on medium-low until heated through, stirring occasionally.
While beans are cooking, cook hamburger and onion until hamburger is browned. Add taco seasoning to hamburger.

In a 8-in square glass pan (or other dish - it could be fun to do individual dishes as well) arrange in the following layer:
Beans
Hamburger
1 cup cheese*
Salsa
Sour Cream
1 cup cheese*
Olives
Tomatoes
Green onion

Serve with tortilla chips or strips. Enjoy

*I separate the cheese because I really like the gooey cheese (the hot hamburger melts it). I also like the not melted cheese so this gives me the best of both worlds. You can put all of it on the hamburger to melt it, or all on top of the sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. See...it was a really bad idea for me to browse on an empty stomach...now I'm so hungry I almost feel sick. But this sounds amazing...wish I had some for breakfast! :D

    ReplyDelete