Wednesday, July 29

Fried Rice

This recipe is adapted from about 3 other recipes. I take what I like from them and add it together. One recipe called for green beans (green beans in Fried Rice?), another called for peas (I only like fresh peas straight from the garden, so that was a no go), mushrooms (hubby says no to), and bamboo shoots (I never have those), and another said to beat the eggs and soy sauce together (huh?). I actually tried the eggs and soy sauce thing, not so great. I never felt like the eggs got cooked enough (I am really don't deal well with eating raw eggs - yeah, no homemade eggnog for me!) I usually try to just use one pan for this so I cook the eggs before I saute the other ingredients. The ham I usually have left over from cooking a half-ham, which I usually buy when it goes on sale for $0.99 per pound. Tip: When buying ham, buy the butt portion not the shank (butt portion usually has smaller bones and more meat).

Fried Rice

3 cups Rice
2 Carrots, cubed or shredded (these should be as thick as matchstick carrots or they will turn mushy)
3 Eggs, scrambled and crumbled, unseasoned
1/2 cup Green Onions, sliced
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 cups Ham, cubed
1 tsp Sesame Oil (if you do not have this you can omit)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (I use reduced sodium)

Using the Sesame and Olive oils, saute the carrots, green onions, ham and garlic in large frying pan or wok until carrots are crisp tender. Stir in rice and eggs. Add soy sauce. Serve while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment